Daily Devotional for November 12, 2015

Psalm 23:1-6
You, Lord, are my shepherd.
    I will never be in need.
You let me rest in fields
    of green grass.
You lead me to streams
    of peaceful water,
    and you refresh my life.
You are true to your name,
    and you lead me
    along the right paths.
I may walk through valleys
    as dark as death,
    but I won’t be afraid.
You are with me,
    and your shepherd’s rod
    makes me feel safe.
You treat me to a feast,
    while my enemies watch.
You honor me as your guest,
    and you fill my cup
    until it overflows.
Your kindness and love
    will always be with me
    each day of my life,
    and I will live forever
    in your house, Lord.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

A couple of years ago, my brother’s childhood friend, Amy, died suddenly from a head injury that she suffered in a fall.  Her sister asked me to speak at her funeral…to offer some words of comfort to family members and friends.  God led me to the 23rd Psalm. 

We all know this passage.  You can probably recite at least most of it from heart.  “The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want.”  But look at how this translation explains that sentence. 


“YOU Lord, are my shepherd…I will never be in need.”  Let this concept “soak in” for a bit.

”I may walk through valleys as dark as death, but I won’t be afraid. You are with me, and your shepherd’s rod makes me feel safe.” Consider these words as you wrestle with the challenges and scary situations in your own life – or that of someone you love.

 
“Your kindness and love will always be with me each day of my life…”
Imagine the arm of Jesus enveloping you as you take each and every daily step.  Feel His loving presence in each breath you take…welcome His kindness even when your world seems to be crumbling around you.

I went through “The 23rd Psalm” line by line at Amy’s funeral and detailed how the words related to God’s care for her – and for each of us.  In doing so, I gained a new perspective on these words and how much God loves us.  I was reminded to worry less, and trust God more…because He truly IS meeting our every need, whether we recognize it or not.

My prayer today is that we would embrace the words of Psalm 23 and take them to heart…that we really would begin to believe in God’s presence and care and grow in confidence that He will always be with us…that we have nothing to fear…that we are safe in the love and kindness of His powerful – yet gentle – arms.  The Lord IS my shepherd, and I will never be in need.  Do you believe this?  Isn’t it time you did?
   

©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: