Daily Devotional for November 5, 2015

Matthew 6:34
“Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don’t get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes."

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

Greg and I watch “House of Cards” – a television series on Netflix.  In a recent story line, a potentially deadly hurricane was headed for the East Coast. It appeared poised to devastate at least seven coastal states.  The “powers that be” scrambled to appropriate funds for disaster relief…and in doing so, they “defunded” a vital program that aided millions of Americans.  All sorts of “drama” ensued as members of Congress and other powerful leaders finagled to move money from this program (which had been "engineered" by the President) to the coffers for emergency relief.  Each side worried and stewed about what would happen and how this would all end. They placed all of their focus on events in the future and what might or might not happen. 

At the last minute, the hurricane veered out to sea…and there was no disaster.  Doesn’t this just tell the tale for many of us and how we live our lives?  We worry, stew, argue, finagle, and stress to the max…and then the “storm” veers away, and we’re left looking foolish.  We neglect today’s business as we wrestle with the potential problems of tomorrow…and we often end up looking and feeling pretty foolish!

I know this is true, because I’ve done it for years!  I’ve lived in the “What ifs?” and the “How will we evers?” and the “How will we manage this challenge or that ones?” for YEARS!  And while I think I am getting better, I still “work my worries” and obsess about things far too often that I should give to God.

Instead of wrestling with even the most trivial of things – like “What will we eat tomorrow if I don’t make it to the grocery store today?”…what if we said, “LORD, I trust you to provide…and to handle tomorrow.  For today, I am going to do what I feel that You are leading me to do…and believe that You will take care of the days to follow.  I know that storms may come…but You will equip me to prepare for them perfectly.  There are so many things that I cannot fix…and I am not supposed to!  So I trust YOU to fix them for me.”

The more we learn to trust God as the “Great Fixer” and give Him our cares…the more we learn to operate in the rhythms of His grace and mercy…and the more effective we become as Christian disciples.  The Gillette Company used to have a slogan for an antiperspirant…”Never let them see you sweat!”  We would do well to adopt this phrase with regard to our Christian faith.  Better yet, let’s get so good at trusting God that we truly don’t perspire or worry – because we operate fully in the confidence that He is in complete control!

Storms may come our way…or they may veer out to sea.  Either way, let’s learn to live in God’s care and let Him handle their course – and our response. Are you in?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: