Daily Devotional for November 14, 2015

Psalm 37:23-25
The steps of good men are directed by the Lord. He delights in each step they take. If they fall, it isn’t fatal, for the Lord holds them with his hand.

I have been young and now I am old. And in all my years I have never seen the Lord forsake a man who loves him; nor have I seen the children of the godly go hungry.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

It’s happened again…a demonstration of hatred and senseless violence against decent, innocent people – this time in Paris, France.  And this time, it’s personal for me, because the childhood friend of my mother – my best friend/neighbor’s older sister – is a resident of this European city, where she has resided for almost 40 years. When the attacks occurred, she was returning home via subway after going to a movie. She was doing what thousands were doing on a regular Friday night in a major city…enjoying herself and minding her own business.  Yet dozens just like her didn’t return home – and more than 100 of them never will.

So what are we to do?  Our church’s Bishop, Gary Mueller, wrote a poignant note today  for Facebook and suggested that the one thing we can do is to refuse operate in fear.  He said we must do this…”not because of our own strength - but because of God.” 

I look at these words of the psalmist David in Psalm 37…surely he had seen his share of violence, death, and betrayal.  And yet, he said that he had never seen the Lord forsake a man who loves Him…nor had he seen the children of the godly go hungry.  David noted that God “holds them with His hand.” 

Even today, as we see innocent blood spilled…lives turned upside down by this horrific tragedy and senseless act of hatred…we must grab hold of these words from the Psalms and cling to God’s promises. Even physical death cannot defeat those of us who truly love and trust God for everything.  I hope and pray that every single one of the victims of yesterday’s violence were immediately transported to Heaven and now sit in the presence of God Almighty. Yet I know that this may not be the case. I cannot control this…but I can do all that I am able to ensure that I meet Him there someday…and that I share the message of Christ’s love and care to every person I encounter in the meantime.

I am saddened for the families of these victims…and for my friend and all residents of Paris who are so heartsick today over what has happened in their city.  I understand that they are surely frightened for their own safety – and worried for their future.  But I am confident that God is still in control…that He is orchestrating order in this chaos…redemption in the rubble…and peace where we see pandemonium. 

I am picturing God holding each of us by His powerful-yet-gentle hand.  And I am trusting Him to handle ALL of my worries and cares – today, and always.  What about you?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: