Daily Devotional for November 10, 2015

Proverbs 29:25
The fear of human opinion disables;
    trusting in God protects you from that.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugeterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

Tough decisions are a part of life…and I’ve had to make my share.  I will be the first to tell you that there were times that God told me to go one direction – and people told me to go another.  And I struggled with which choice to make. When Greg and I decided to leave “good jobs” with benefits and “security” and start a new business, there were moments of trepidation. A lot of people thought we were nuts…but we felt in our hearts that God was leading us in a different direction.  And was He ever!

Later in my adult life, I adopted the mantra that “I’ll only move when God moves me.”  And more than once, He has done just that.  He moved me into a position with our church’s Praise Band…and eight years later, He moved me out of it – despite the protests of several who thought I should stay.  God moved us from our “family farm” and the “dream home” we had built there – and He has moved us twice since!  He also put me in a position to write these daily devotionals…and so far, He has not told me to stop, despite suggestions and thoughts that perhaps I am too busy to keep up with them.

I know that for every time I have listened for God’s voice and trusted Him, there have been times that I have missed the mark…that I have been swayed by the opinions of others – and even the devil – and gone in a different direction.  And those are probably some of the times that just never felt “quite right” in my heart. When we listen to God and trust Him instead of worrying about what others might think, He always works out the details. There is always enough time to get everything done…always enough of whatever is needed to make things happen…always a peace and calm that we have done what He was calling us to do.

God sometimes speaks to us through the thoughts and opinions of other human beings…but we must be very careful to ensure that we are hearing His voice and not theirs – or the desires of our own heart.  I pray that you trust God to give you direction in all things…that you carefully weigh all influences and sift out those that are human from that of our Heavenly Father, which is always perfect.

I pray that you never “move until God moves you”…and that you replace worry about these decisions with confidence that He will never steer you in the wrong direction.  May you learn to trust God more fully for all things…and may you begin today.


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: