Daily Devotional for November 25, 2015

1 John 4:18
We need have no fear of someone who loves us perfectly; his perfect love for us eliminates all dread of what he might do to us. If we are afraid, it is for fear of what he might do to us and shows that we are not fully convinced that he really loves us.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

I am blessed to say that I am fully convinced of Greg’s love for me.  I know that not everyone can say this about their relationship…nor can every child say this about his/her parents.  Sadly, we live in a world where unconditional, perfect love is not the norm.  And I do not wear rose-colored glasses.  I know that sometimes I say/do things that aggravate Greg to no end.  But still, he loves me and always has my best interests at heart.  I do not take this for granted…but man, am I ever glad to be so loved. And I hope that he knows that I love him unconditionally, as well!

I also love Timothy, Zola and Nathan beyond description.  I would do almost anything for these children…yet there are times that they get on my last nerve!  They are, after all, normal children…so irritating adults is somewhat their job!  But they know that I love them…and as far as I can tell, they are not the least bit afraid of me!

None of this “human love” can compare to God’s affection for us.  Sure…we all aggravate Him immeasurably at times…but this does not diminish His love for us.  Yet some of us are scared to death of Him.  I will admit…for many years, I was afraid of God.  I operated in fear…I worried that every time I failed Him, I was destined to be rejected and tossed into the depths of hell.  Let me assure you…that was a miserable way to live – and it is NOT God’s desire for us in the least!

It is time for us to embrace God’s love for us – and accept Him completely.  This is not the same thing as taking Him for granted, which would be totally wrong.  Instead, we are to respect God and His power, care, grace, and mercy.  But we are also to graciously and honorably say, “Thank you!  I will gladly operate in Your love and care and do all I can to glorify such an amazing gift!”

This is the perfect week to shift from a relationship of fearful servanthood to discipleship based in love and gratitude. Are you fully convinced that God really loves you…and do you demonstrate this in your daily living?  Isn’t this a good time to begin?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: