Daily Devotional for November 3, 2015

Matthew 11:28-30
“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.
       
There was a story on CBS This Morning about how couples are leaving traditional religion, particularly with regard to weddings.  Instead of marrying in the church, they are asking friends and acquaintances to officiate at their nuptials.  Many of those who are presiding at such weddings are getting their “ordination papers” online.  Yes, YOU can become an ordained minister and perform your friends’ ceremonies.

But that’s not the part of the story that resonated with me.  The reporter noted that Millenials (those who reached young adulthood around the year 2000) are leaving the organized church in record numbers…and “seeking a different path.  She noted that Baby Boomers (those born between 1946 and 1964) seem to be growing in their faith – and that many claim to “pray every day.”

I have to tell you…while I do not discount such reports, they do dishearten me.  Yes, I am a “Baby Boomer” – and yes, I pray every day.  I have grown to know the power and strength of a life lived under the yoke of Jesus rather than the burden of my own worries and fears.

What I want to say to people of any age is this...don’t “throw the baby out with the bath water.”  If you have not found a corporate worship setting (or church family) that is right for you, don’t stop looking!  Most certainly, do not give up on Jesus…because I can assure you that He has not given up on YOU!  There will be plenty of situations and circumstances in life that have us all scratching our heads at best – and often wringing our hands in desperation.  And Jesus can help us handle all of them.  None of our burdens  or concerns are too insignificant – or too heavy – for Jesus to bear.

Trade your “yoke” for that of Jesus.  Let Him do the heavy lifting and carry the big stuff…and let Him help you with the smaller issues, also.  Even if “church” has left you burned out, discouraged and/or disillusioned, don’t walk away from Jesus!  Get away with Him and really get to know Him.  Rest in His gentle rhythms of grace – and surrender to His strength. 

Jesus is calling, “Come to me, and I will give you rest.”  Aren’t you ready to take Him up on His offer?  Wouldn’t this be a good day to get started?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: