Daily Devotional for February 1, 2016

Psalm 5:7
But as for me, I will come into your Temple protected by your mercy and your love; I will worship you with deepest awe.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

My childhood neighborhood was filled with residents who were old enough to be my grandparents.  My sister, brother and I were welcomed into their homes like we truly were their grandchildren.  We pretty much had free run of the neighborhood and felt welcome, protected, and loved in each and every home.  It was like that for the other handful of kids who lived near us, also.

So as I told a friend about our four-year-old niece Zola - and how she had practically bathed in cologne Sunday morning before church – she remembered a time that she went to visit one of her neighbors.  She said, “I got into her sachet one evening at a visit  - then denied it to the death!”  Those were the days…when we felt comfortable and safe enough to go to a neighbor’s and pilfer - even if it was a bad thing to do!

We have tried to teach the little ones that it is impolite to help yourself in others’ homes…but all three feel pretty comfortable and cozy with checking the fridge and pantry when they visit us…or getting in the closet to grab a superhero costume or a toy they know is kept there. And I want them to feel at home when they visit.  I want them to experience grace and mercy in our presence…and to always feel loved.  But I want them to also learn respect for us, our home, and our belongings.

More importantly, I want to teach the children to feel God’s love and protection…His grace and mercy.  I want them to always be comfortable in His presence…and to worship Him with deepest awe and respect. I want them to respect God - and what belongs to Him - as they learn to truly worship and serve.  This should be our goal, also…regardless of our age.

Just as children should learn not to pilfer and get into things – in their own home or that of others – we should learn to respect and revere God and His belongings.  We should not overindulge – in anything – or assume that we have “carte blanche” with God.  But at the same time, we need to understand how much He loves us – how He continually extends grace and mercy to us…covers us and protects us…and overlooks more of our transgressions and childish behaviors than any of us deserves.

We are so often like the impetulant child who got into a grown-up’s sachet or cologne and denies doing so.  We don’t deserve to have our misdeeds overlooked or forgiven…and yet this is often exactly what God does, out of His incredible love and mercy.  Will this be the day that you begin to show more gratitude…to demonstrate your reverence and deepest awe – and do your best to love God more and serve Him better?  Don’t you think it should be?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: