Daily Devotional for February 4, 2016

February 4 ~ Psalm 89:7
You are the most fearsome
    of all who live in heaven;
    all the others fear
    and greatly honor you.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

When Greg and I started our own business nearly 30 years ago, I did “PR” work on the side to help pay for our office equipment. Some of this work had me “rubbing elbows” with a few well-known public figures – and even a celebrity or two.  I don’t mean to name drop, but I’ve spent time with President Bill Clinton (when he was Governor of Arkansas) – and even dined with Hillary.  I’ve met well-known authors like the late Norman Mailer…and I used to be on a first-name basis with home, beauty and fashion editors from coast to coast - and the CEO’s of several companies in the RV/Camping industry. 

I know a back-up singer for Christian recording artist CeCe Winans, three former pro football players, and my childhood neighbor is a retired Arkansas Supreme Court Judge. Another childhood friend edits videos for the likes of Garth Brooks, Justin Bieber, and Lady Antebellum…and one of my lifelong friends has been the secretary for every Arkansas Razorbacks Football Coach since Lou Holtz!

How does this relate to Psalm 89:7?  As I have grown closer to God, I have learned a valuable lesson…these are all just “plain folks” like you and me.  Oh, a few celebrities and notables may feel that they are more important…but I can tell you that each one of them grew up pretty well as you and I did.  They had typical childhood experiences, played outside with friends, went to school, and grew up similarly to us. They had challenges, heartaches, and disappointments, too. Some of them may want you to think they are “all that and a bag of chips” now…but their “roots” are probably about as common as anyone else’s.

So I am not all that impressed with “notoriety.”  My heart does not pound faster when I’m near someone with wide-spread recognition.  I am not awed by them…nor all that dazzled by an opportunity to meet them and shake their hands.  I can remember standing in line to get the autograph of a well-known athlete…and yes, James Taylor actually signed my denim jacket at one of his concerts.  But I also remember passing up a chance to walk over and speak to a US Olympic boxer and actor who was standing just a few feet away.

There is only ONE who can bring me to my knees and cause me to tremble in “fear” and excitement…and that is God Almighty.  This scripture passage says that even the angels shake in His presence!  God is the only “celebrity” worthy of my awe…the only One whose “autograph” I truly wish to own.  I want Him to write His name on my heart…and I’ll keep it there forever.  I am happy to “name drop” big time when it comes to God…I want everyone to know that I know Him.  I will never become complacent about our relationship – He will always make my heart beat faster. 

What about you?  Are you “star-struck” for mere mortals?  Do you have respect and reverence for God…and more importantly, is He the object of your deepest “celebrity crush?”  Have you got your priorities in order…and do you understand that in God’s eyes, we are all created equal…from the orphan and homeless woman on the street to the drug addict, to the leader of the free world – and everyone in between?  Do you get that God is in a league all His own - far and away superior to all others…and yet, He calls you His child?

Will this be the day that you begin to give God the respect and “billing” that He deserves?  If angels tremble in His sight with respect and reverence, don’t you think you should, as well?  Who causes you to tremble with fear and excitement?  Isn’t it time you figured it out?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: