Daily Devotional for February 24, 2016

Matthew 16:17-18
Jesus came back, “God bless you, Simon, son of Jonah! You didn’t get that answer out of books or from teachers. My Father in heaven, God himself, let you in on this secret of who I really am. And now I’m going to tell you who you are, really are. You are Peter, a rock. This is the rock on which I will put together my church, a church so expansive with energy that not even the gates of hell will be able to keep it out.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

On July 12, 2010, F. Diane Barth, L.C.S.W., a psychotherapist and psychoanalyst in New York City wrote an article for PsychologyToday.com titled “Are You Turning Into Your Mother?”  In one paragraph, she noted…”when I was young and my family teased me about being like my mother (who I did not resemble physically), I felt criticized and resentful. I wanted to be different from her, to have my own personality, separate from hers, and besides, I did not like the things they were commenting on (for example, my bossiness!). But today I am grateful to her for having passed onto me numerous characteristics, including her love of books and her interest in writing, her empathy for others, and her incredible stores of energy.”

One of my mother’s dearest friends told me recently…”As long as you breathe, so does your mother.”  I know she meant this as a compliment. She implied that I remind her of all of the things she loved about my mother. And like the therapist, F. Diane Barth, I am also grateful to my mother for passing on to me the very  characteristics that Barth enumerated about her own mom…love of books and writing, empathy for others, and energy and enthusiasm for life.

More importantly, I am grateful to my mother for her tremendous demonstration of faith and trust in God.  In many ways, my mother was the “rock” of our family. Even in her last days, she stoically announced, “I know that I don’t have much time left, and it’s okay.”  And she made sure that she imparted last words of strength and wisdom to many family members and friends.  Just as Jesus explained to Peter, Mother didn’t develop this strength on her own…it came from God.  She listened for His voice, and He granted her insight into the secret of who He really is.

Jesus makes the point to Peter that his assignment is to be the “rock” for others…to spread the word and encourage those in his midst to seek their own “assignment” from God – and act on it.  As the “rock” of our family, my mother did a good job of encouraging others to act on their Godly “assignments” – to go forth and serve in the name of Jesus.  In this manner, she “fed His sheep”…and I am sure that she has now heard, “Well done!” from God Almighty.

OUR MISSION is clear.  We are to build upon the “rock” of Jesus Christ…to learn from the examples of those who have shared His Good News with us…to be a “rock” for others as we encourage them in their faith…and to busy ourselves furthering the church.  I’m not talking about building a “church facility”…or even adding to the number of people with whom you may worship on Sundays.  I’m talking about increasing God’s Kingdom – and nurturing those who come to know Him so that THEY can also share the Good News with others and continue building on this firm foundation.

As long as I breathe, I guess others really will see traces of my mother…my dad…my grandparents and other important influences in my life.  But I HOPE that what others see the most in me is Jesus…His kindness and compassion, grace, mercy - and hope for a future built on the ROCK of God’s love for all of His children.

Are you building on the “Rock” of Jesus and feeding His sheep? When others look at you, what – and WHO – do they see? We all have work to do in this area.  My prayer is that we will begin in earnest today.  Are you with me?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: