Daily Devotional for February 22, 2016

John 5:20-23
“But you haven’t seen the half of it yet, for in the same way that the Father raises the dead and creates life, so does the Son. The Son gives life to anyone he chooses. Neither he nor the Father shuts anyone out. The Father handed all authority to judge over to the Son so that the Son will be honored equally with the Father. Anyone who dishonors the Son, dishonors the Father, for it was the Father’s decision to put the Son in the place of honor."

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.
 
Every family has traditional meals or foods…”family favorites”…signature dishes.  My mother had her share – many given to her by my grandmothers, other relatives, and friends.  She passed these along to me and my sister…and to my niece, Jasmine – her grand-daughter.  Just this morning, Jasmine told me of finding a recipe book this weekend at my Mother’s that was clearly meant for her.  It was filled with hand-written recipes – many with notations as to who shared them or how they were specially prepared.  There were even hand-written recipe cards from my grandmothers tucked in between the pages.

My sister and I also have recipe books from my mother – a Christmas gift several years ago.  I treasure the hand-written recipes and the notes about a favorite dessert for my grandmother to serve to her coffee klatch – or a dish that Mother remembered her grandmother serving at holiday time.  We will save these books – and prepare the dishes – and make sure that our little ones know about them and create them for generations to come.  There are no “secret recipes” in this collection.  We will gladly share every one of them with anyone who asks.

Here’s where I am headed with this.  God gave Jesus the authority to give Eternal life to anyone He chooses…to judge who has truly committed to follow Him… and to create new Disciples to carry on the work of furthering God’s Kingdom.  When we share the Good News of Jesus, we are carrying out the desires of God and perpetuating His message to future generations.  In a manner of speaking, God left us a “recipe book” for how to live and follow Him – through Jesus Christ.  We are to share these “recipes” with the world at large.

There are to be no secrets…we are not to stockpile the Good News of Jesus for ourselves.  Eternal Life is available to all who call on the name of Jesus and carry His Holy Spirit in their hearts.  We should be ready, willing and able to tell anyone who asks us about Jesus and what He has done for us.  We should be prepared to demonstrate His love, grace, mercy, forgiveness and compassion at a moment’s notice.  True Christian disciples should have no trouble showing others how to walk in faith – or offering them hope in the promises of God through His Son, Jesus.

The other day, I made my grandmother’s “Orange Refrigerator Cake” recipe.  My mother prepared this countless times for us when I was growing up.  With every bite, I was transported back in time.  Childhood memories of life with relatively few cares or worries flooded my mind and heart…and I was reminded of how much I was loved. As we love others with the love of Christ and “feed His sheep,” we are reminded of how much God loves us.  We are flooded with hope and joy – peace and comfort – and assurance that Heaven will be a glorious place!

Are you doing your part to share the love of Jesus with others?  Are you perpetuating the “traditions” and sharing the “recipe” for Eternal Life in Christ?  Are you “feeding His sheep”…or are you selfishly keeping His Good News to yourself?  Will this be the day that you start “making memories” and “sharing recipes” for Eternal Life with others?  Don’t you think it should be?

 
©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: