Daily Devotional for February 27, 2016

Psalm 23:1-6
You, Lord, are my shepherd.
I will never be in need.
You let me rest in fields of green grass.
You lead me to streams of peaceful water, and you refresh my life.
You are true to your name, and you lead me along the right paths.
I may walk through valleys as dark as death, but I won’t be afraid.
You are with me, and your shepherd’s rod makes me feel safe.
You treat me to a feast, while my enemies watch.
You honor me as your guest, and you fill my cup until it overflows.
Your kindness and love will always be with me each day of my life, and I will live forever in your house, Lord.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Shortly before Christmas, Timothy was watching a YouTube video where a dad and his son opened new toys and described them to the viewers.  For those of you without small children, this has become quite the phenomenon…videos where adults open toys - and wrapped packages or plastic eggs that contain small toys or candy – and sample the wares.  The people on camera describe the contents and sometimes play with the toys or take a bite of the candy and describe the experience.  All three of our children are mesmerized by these videos. Generally, they have little to say…but this particular day, the dad opened a box containing a “Jurassic World Indominus Rex vs. Gyrosphere Pack.”

Timothy’s eyes lit up, and he said, “Oh!  I HAVE to have this!  I NEED this!”  I reminded Timothy that he had already placed his order with Santa, and I was not sure that this was possible.  But he insisted we look the toy up online and see how much it cost…and maybe was there a way that he could have it for Christmas, because this really was ALL that he wanted!

Luckily, Grandma E had not done her shopping yet, and the Indominus Rex was purchased for Timothy – along with a T-Rex for Nathan and some "Frozen" toys for Zola. When Timothy opened the package on Christmas Eve, his face said it all. ”This was JUST what I wanted!” he declared!  And Grandma E was the hero!

It’s a funny thing how we decide what we want/need.  Some of us absolutely need a companion…we feel we cannot function well on our own.  Others believe they absolutely must have the latest fashions, gadgets, electronics, cars, and more.  Still others feel that they are only as good as their latest “success” – academically, physically, economically, and more. They have to be the right weight and shape, achieve the desired scores, earn a certain amount of money, and be surrounded by people who at least appear to like them.  And we all expend a LOT of time and energy to accomplish these goals and maintain this “status.”

I encourage you to stop for just a few minutes and read this scripture passage and let it soak into your soul.  Especially note the first verse…
”You, Lord, are my shepherd. I will never be in need.”  The difference in what we find important involves a shift in focus…from ourselves and the world – to JESUS!  And what results is astounding.  For starters…our attitude and demeanor change.  We are no longer chasing our tails to get ahead, to “be somebody,” or to feel happy and content.  And the world notices the shift.

When we begin to rest in Jesus…to fully embrace the concept that He meets our every need and gives us all that is important, we demonstrate to others that Jesus is our Refuge – our Comforter and Provider.  In Him, we have hope and a purpose…and we are able to share with others out of this abundance.  We are able to “feed His sheep” because we trust Him to feed us.

I have no doubt that Timothy has played with his new dinosaur for hours on end.  But in time, he will tire of this toy and move on to the next thing that he simply must have…just as we all do when our focus is on earthly acquisitions and treasures.  Do not misunderstand what I am saying…there is nothing wrong with goals and aspirations.  It is not wrong to have nice things, new toys, or our desire for the company of others.  The key is how we align our priorities.

When we place the focus on Jesus…when we look to Him to be the Author and Finisher of all that we require, everything else falls into place…and we are truly able to say “I will never be in need.”  And we can demonstrate to others that this is possible for them, as well.

So my question today is this…”Who are you asking to meet your needs?”  Are you seeking the latest, greatest “toy” to add to your collection…or are you seeking a seat at the LORD’s table, where His kindness and love are always available?  When others look at you, do they see someone whose needs are met by Jesus…or someone who is “looking for love and confirmation in all the wrong places”?  How you answer matters greatly.  So Who is meeting your needs today?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: