Daily Devotional for February 8, 2016

1 Corinthians 13:1-13
What if I could speak all languages of humans and of angels? If I did not love others, I would be nothing more than a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

What if I could prophesy and understand all secrets and all knowledge? And what if I had faith that moved mountains? I would be nothing, unless I loved others.

What if I gave away all that I owned and let myself be burned alive? I would gain nothing, unless I loved others.

Love is kind and patient, never jealous, boastful, proud, or rude. Love isn’t selfish or quick tempered. It doesn’t keep a record of wrongs that others do. Love rejoices in the truth, but not in evil. Love is always supportive, loyal, hopeful, and trusting. Love never fails!

Everyone who prophesies will stop, and unknown languages will no longer be spoken. All that we know will be forgotten.

We don’t know everything, and our prophecies are not complete. But what is perfect will someday appear, and what isn’t perfect will then disappear.

When we were children, we thought and reasoned as children do. But when we grew up, we quit our childish ways. Now all we can see of God is like a cloudy picture in a mirror. Later we will see him face to face. We don’t know everything, but then we will, just as God completely understands us.

For now there are faith, hope, and love. But of these three, the greatest is love.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Our church’s Sunday school focus for this quarter is on “church”…what is it?  Who makes up the “church”?  How can we be the “church” to others?  There are a lot of people who think they are the church, because they “do all the right things.”  They attend worship services on Sundays…they participate in Bible studies and small groups…they wear the appropriate cross jewelry and t-shirts and/or have crosses, fish and bumper stickers on their vehicles.  They might even have a sign in their yard that says, “This family attends XYZ church.” And they hang out with other people who attend their “church.”

But check these folks on any given day, and you will see someone who does not seem to represent the “church” described in the Book of Acts  - in any way, shape or form.  Yesterday, I asked a group of 2nd-3rd graders how they could better represent the church that Jesus commissioned in the Book of Acts.  One child said, “I could watch my language and not say ugly words.”  Another said, “I could pray more and tell others about Jesus.”  Still another said, “I could control my temper."

All of the children in this class were sweet and sincere…they want to be loving servants.  But they are children…and they are human. 1 Corinthians 13:11 tells us that most children think and reason differently from us.  Unfortunately, we adults behave like children far too often.  We do not operate in love…and we do not represent Jesus. We may “look the part,” on the outside…but our hearts are certainly not filled with love for others.

I told the children what I often remind each of us in these devotionals…people are watching.  When they look at us, we want them to see the love of Jesus.  We want others to see behaviors and hear talk that represents His teachings…offers hope, demonstrates faith, and surrounds them with love and acceptance.  If we don’t truly have the love of Christ in our hearts…if we don’t carry His Holy Spirit with us…this will not be possible.

Examine your heart today.  See where you have become nothing more than a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.  Ask Jesus to fill you with His love…and to help you share His compassion tenderness, grace and mercy with others.  We are called to “feed His sheep” by our demonstrations of love, hope and faith.  How are you doing today?


©2016 Debbie Robus 

No comments: