Daily Devotional for February 28, 2016

1 Corinthians 2:10-13    
The Spirit, not content to flit around on the surface, dives into the depths of God, and brings out what God planned all along. Who ever knows what you’re thinking and planning except you yourself? The same with God—except that he not only knows what he’s thinking, but he lets us in on it.

God offers a full report on the gifts of life and salvation that he is giving us. We don’t have to rely on the world’s guesses and opinions. We didn’t learn this by reading books or going to school; we learned it from God, who taught us person-to-person through Jesus, and we’re passing it on to you in the same firsthand, personal way.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

Regretfully, I have been unable to find a hand-written copy of my mother’s signature Chicken Pie recipe.  Mother served this dish at virtually every family dinner…particularly in the last few years.  I know it took her a couple of days to create, because she would boil a chicken one day, debone it the next, then skim the broth and add peas and carrots and seasonings to make the filling.  Then she topped this with homemade biscuits. Just last fall, I told her, “I do not have a copy of your Chicken Pie recipe.”  She replied, “Well, I’ll have to see what I can do about that!” Things deteriorated quickly, and she never got this done.

One of Mother’s lifelong friends has graciously shared HER recipe, which is similar, but not quite the same.  One of my “other mothers” and I have discussed the dish and tried to figure out how to improvise and come close to the original.  In the end, I will probably have to do some “trial and error” runs and hope that my mother speaks to me from heaven and guides my efforts.

The beautiful thing about our relationship with God is that we don’t have to guess and wonder.  There is no such thing as “trial and error.”  As we read in this passage, all we have to do is stay attuned to the word and will of God…to communicate with the Holy Spirit and genuinely seek His guidance…and He will give it to us.  The more you learn to focus on Jesus and listen for His Holy Spirit, the easier it becomes to know that you know that you know that He is guiding you.  And just like when we recreate an unwritten recipe, we can demonstrate to others how to operate in this confidence in Jesus and the Holy Spirit, also.

I used to ask my Mam-ma Polly for recipes, and she would say, “Sugar, I just need to show you.”  Because I knew I would not necessarily remember all that she told me, I did coax her to write down a lot of the recipes that she demonstrated to me.  And we do have a written “back-up” of Jesus’ commands and teachings to share with others in the Holy Bible.  But God wants us to live in such a way that we physically illustrate to others what it means to operate fully in His will…to listen for Jesus speaking through His Holy Spirit…and to confidently act on His wishes.

I’ll do my best to reconstruct the chicken pie, because when we eat it, my family and I will remember my mother and how much love she poured into it.  And I will do my best to operate in the will of Jesus as He speaks to me via the Holy Spirit, so that I can share His love for us with those in my circle of influence.  If we all do this, imagine what we could accomplish for God’s Kingdom! What do you say…are you with me?

  
©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: