Daily Devotional for February 15, 2016

John 13:12-17
Then he said, “Do you understand what I have done to you? You address me as ‘Teacher’ and ‘Master,’ and rightly so. That is what I am. So if I, the Master and Teacher, washed your feet, you must now wash each other’s feet. I’ve laid down a pattern for you. What I’ve done, you do. I’m only pointing out the obvious. A servant is not ranked above his master; an employee doesn’t give orders to the employer. If you understand what I’m telling you, act like it—and live a blessed life.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

Yesterday after church, Timothy had on a paper bracelet with something written on it.  I asked him about the bracelet during lunch, and he said, “We were supposed to write down the names of someone to pray for…and I chose Granny and Bruce, because they already died and went to heaven.”  I looked at the bracelet, and he had written “Granny” and “Brose” in his neatest printing.  Greg, Grandma E and I were all touched by his sweet gesture.  Timothy was talking to God about his Granny (my mother)…and Mr. Bruce (Greg’s brother).  And he had learned to do this from listening to – and observing – other adults…at home and in Sunday school.

Every Sunday after church, I thank God for what our children learned that day. I thank Him for the Godly, loving teachers who instruct them and demonstrate what it means to “feed my sheep” and share the love and teachings of Jesus with others.  And I am reminded that these children are watching everything we say and do…and so are “children” of all ages.

What are you demonstrating?  Have you learned from the Master… and are you following His pattern?  If you go back and read John 13 in its entirety, you will see that Jesus washed the feet of His disciples in a gesture of inclusiveness.  To wash the filthy, dusty feet of someone in Jesus’ day was a demonstration of complete humility, service - and great care.  Jesus was telling the disciples – and us – that we are all a part of what He is doing on this earth…that He is not too good to wash our feet – and we are not better than anyone else.  We must be ready, willing and able to do whatever is necessary to show others how much we love them in Jesus’ name…how much HE loves them.

Whether it is washing feet, praying for someone, sharing in the joys or sorrows of others, or teaching children to further God’s kingdom through their words and actions…we all have a part to play.  As Jesus pointed out…we must be willing to feed His sheep if we want to be part of His Kingdom.  And if we understand this…we must act like it.  How are you doing?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: