Daily Devotional for February 14, 2016

John 10:14-18
“I am the Good Shepherd. I know my own sheep and my own sheep know me. In the same way, the Father knows me and I know the Father. I put the sheep before myself, sacrificing myself if necessary. You need to know that I have other sheep in addition to those in this pen. I need to gather and bring them, too. They’ll also recognize my voice. Then it will be one flock, one Shepherd.

This is why the Father loves me: because I freely lay down my life. And so I am free to take it up again. No one takes it from me. I lay it down of my own free will. I have the right to lay it down; I also have the right to take it up again. I received this authority personally from my Father.”

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

It’s Valentine’s Day…the day when expressions of love flow freely between almost all of us.  Flowers, candy, jewelry and more cards than can be counted are exchanged between people of all ages.  According to an article at Money.com, the average amount many will spend on Valentine’s Day this year is nearly $150.  And the words written on Valentine cards run the gamut from the silly to the sappy…but the general gist of most is that the recipient has captured our hearts!

In this scripture passage, Jesus is telling us that He has captured God’s heart…and God has captured His.  More than that…WE have captured His heart…and He wants to capture ours.  Jesus knows us intimately – and He wants us to know Him just as well.  Going one step further…Jesus wants us to share this love with others…to develop a deep, abiding affection for others that mimics His love for us.  In this manner, we can demonstrate to them how much God loves us - and create in them a desire to become part of the flock.

If God sent us a Valentine, I imagine it might feature Jesus gathering His flock of sheep, with Ephesians 3:18 written across the front…” And I ask him that with both feet planted firmly on love, you’ll be able to take in with all followers of Jesus the extravagant dimensions of Christ’s love.”

God wants us to be His …and to so clearly demonstrate to the world how special this relationship is that others can’t help but want to join in, also.  His love is incredible and vast - and there is room for all of us.  This is GREAT NEWS!

1 John 4:19 reminds us that…”First we were loved, now we love. He loved us first.”  Who do you love…and how will you show it?  Will you demonstrate your love for God today…and will you share His love with others? You don’t have to spend $150 to do this.  There are countless ways to express your affection and appreciation for God and others.  Which ones will you choose today?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: