Daily Devotional for February 10, 2016

1 Peter 5:4
Then when Christ the Chief Shepherd returns, you will be given a crown that will never lose its glory.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

There is a little cartoon that has circulated on the Internet that says, “My dentist told me I needed a crown…and I was like, ‘I know – right?!’”  It makes me laugh every time I see it.  I don’t know a little girl beyond the age of 3 who doesn’t covet a crown at some point.  Crowns are sold in the toy aisles, awarded at “beauty” pageants and other contests.  From the time we are able to recognize them, crowns are promoted as something to which we should aspire.

Boys aren’t left out either…it may not be a “crown” per se…but a trophy, sword, badge or medal…some tangible (and usually shiny) reward symbolizes success and accomplishment…and we have been conditioned to covet them.  Clearly, this is not totally a bad thing – 1 Peter 5:4 illustrates that crowns are “Biblical!”  The rub comes in what KIND of crown we seek…and this makes all the difference!

When I was a little girl, I won a pageant and received a “crown” that was made of cardboard covered in glitter.  I thought it was fantastic…but I was 5!  Later, when I was a majorette in the high school band, my uniform included a glittery rhinestone tiara purchased at the jewelry store.  It made me feel festive and special to wear that sparkling adornment.  And when I was finished with high school, the crown passed to the girl who replaced me. A friend posted a Facebook photo of her child wearing a store-bought toy crown that had been improved with extra flourishes and baubles…supposedly to enhance its glory.

Here’s the thing…all of these “crowns”, medallions, badges, trophies, and ribbons are wonderful in this earthly context.  They signify accomplishments and rewards – and there is nothing wrong with that.  But the crown we will receive when Christ returns will totally outshine any and all of these.  The “gifts and prizes” that await us in Heaven will make all others pale by comparison!

Those of us who have surrendered our hearts to Jesus are heirs to His throne!  The crown that God has waiting for us is not made of cardboard…it will not need any enhancements…it will never tarnish – and it is not temporary. Our job in the meantime is to behave in a manner worthy of such a crown…to demonstrate Jesus’ love, grace, mercy, and forgiveness to others…and to encourage as many people as we can to get in on this “inheritance” for themselves. 

The only One I want to hear tell me, “You need a crown” is Jesus Himself.  What about you?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: